You can submit batch data files using either of two methods:
- Administrative Pages UI
- Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
Both submission methods accept either delimited or XML file formats.
Submit Files Using Administrative Pages
If you use the Administrative Pages UI submission method, you are limited to a file size of 1 MB. If your data file is larger, you must either break the file into smaller files or use the SFTP submission method (see Submit File Using SFTP).
Immediately after the submission, the data file is validated for formatting. If there is an error, the UI notifies you immediately. Thus, you have immediate feedback to allow you to research and resolve the issue and re-attempt the file submission quickly.
Note: If only a subset of the records failed to process, we recommend that you re-submit only those records after correcting any errors to help prevent redundant data file processing and possible errors resulting from re-processing previously applied data.
Using the UI, you can also check the status of any of your previously submitted data files, including those submitted via SFTP, for up to 60 days. The status information includes any error messages, data validation results, and success/fail of the data file processing.
Do the following to submit your data file or check the status of previous submissions using the Administrative Pages:
- Log into the Program Administration Pages.
- Click the Automated User Management link in the left-side navigation pane.
- A window appears where you can submit a file or view the status of previously submitted jobs.
- If you are viewing the status of a previously submitted data file, select the data file in the list and click Next. You have the option of saving the status information to a file.
- If you are submitting a new data file, select Upload user management file and click Next. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the submission.
Refer to the online help in the UI for more detailed information. If necessary, contact your SCO Consultant to request and be given login information (username and password) and access to the Administrative Pages UI.
Submit Files Using SFTP
If you use this method, you will upload the data file using Secured File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) to a folder reserved for your institution on the LearningStudio SFTP server. After the file is uploaded, the batch file system automatically retrieves and processes the file from this location to apply the data changes. Contact your SCO Consultant to setup your SFTP folder and/or get an SFTP license to support this submission method.
The SFTP method does not have a file size limit, although there are additional risks processing extremely large data files (see Cumulative Files, below). Also, there may be a delay in the ability to view the data validation results and error reporting in the Administrative Pages UI because the system processes SFTP data files on a scheduled basis.
Do the following to configure your SFTP client:
- The SFTP system uses non-standard ports for the SFTP server. Confirm with your institution's network administrators that ports 13265 through 13267 and ports 28,000 through 30,000 are available to IP addresses 126.96.36.199 through 188.8.131.52.
- In the Host field, enter externalftp.ecollege.com.
- Enter your username and password.
- Select one of the following protocol types. In the Port field, change the default port number for the selected Protocol Type accordingly:
- FTP with TLS/SSL (Implicit) - change to port 13267
- FTP with SSL (Explicit) - change to port 13265
- FTP with TLS/SSL (Explicit) - change to port 13265
- SFTP using SSH2 - change to port 13266
- From the Data connection type menu, select Use PASV. Note: For the SFTP using SSH2 Protocol Type, use the parameter default values. Click OK to save your connection parameters.
- After you complete the SFTP client configuration, connect to the eCollege SFTP server to confirm that the configuration is correct.
Where to Upload
Once connected to the FTP server, upload any Users & Enrollments batch files to your
API subdirectory. Upload any Course-Copy batch files (a.k.a. "BCCT") to the
What Happens After Submission
Our batch files service has a file watcher that constantly monitors your
API SFTP directory for any new files approximately every 5 – 10 seconds. The file watcher picks up any new enrollment file submissions and submits the files to our enrollment file pre-processor.
Users & Enrollments files are then moved to the root of your SFTP directory and if it passes the enrollment pre-processor, which simply means that it is in the proper file format, it is moved to our BizTalk queues for processing. After processing a transaction log with results for each record in the file is created in the
/API/datadump SFTP directory with the following naming convention:
Course-Copy files are moved to a subdirectory of the
BCCT directory. Transaction logs are created in the