By applying to register to use any Pearson Education Limited Dictionary API made available to you through the Pearson “Plug & Play” Platform (a “PE API”), you are regarded as having accepted the following terms and conditions ("the PE Terms"), so please read and abide by them.
1. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The PE API and all logos, designs, text, graphics, artwork, audio and video and other material provided via any PE API (“PE Content”) are the property of Pearson Education Limited (“PE”) or its suppliers and are protected by international copyright laws.
‘Pearson, 'Pearson Education', Longman and the Ship logo are registered or unregistered trade marks of PE or its licensors.
2. USE OF THE PE API AND PE CONTENT
2.1 You acknowledge that PE may accept or refuse any application to use the PE API as PE may determine in its sole discretion. Further, you acknowledge that PE may withdraw your access to any PE API for any reason and at any time in its sole discretion.
2.2 Subject to PE’s acceptance of your application to use a PE API, PE hereby grants to you a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, revocable licence to download, copy, reproduce, republish, post, transmit, store, or distribute that PE API and the PE Content provided via that PE API in any way subject always to the following restrictions and the terms of clause 3 below:
• Your use of the PE API and PE Content is restricted to the parts thereof that were specified by you in your application to use the PE API and that were specifically approved by PE when it accepted your application.
• Each product or application produced by you that features any PE Content or uses the PE API shall feature the legend “Powered by Longman Dictionaries” on every screen and you shall display the credit “Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, 5th edition, © 2009” in the credit section or terms and conditions (as appropriate) for that applicable product or application.
• You shall not modify PE Content in any way (save for cropping, resizing and formatting).
• You shall not reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of any PE API, PE Content or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by applicable law.
• You shall not use any PE Content or PE API in any product, service or application that you have developed for or on behalf of any competitor of PE including, for example only and without limitation, any other publisher of dictionaries or English language teaching products.
• Any product, service or application that incorporates the PE API or PE Content must only be made available to end users for their personal use only.
• The PE Content and PE APIs are provided to you only for use in the English language and you shall not translate or procure or publish any translation of any part of the same into any other language.
3. CALLS TO PE API AND CHARGES
3.1 Your product may not make more than 4,000 free calls per month through the Pearson Plug & Play scheme. If you would like to make more use of the PE API, you may upgrade by clicking on your application in My Apps and choosing the Upgrade option or by contacting PE at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you upgrade, you will be asked to estimate the number of calls that your application will make to the PE API per month. Any applicable charges shall be paid monthly in advance.
3.2 In the event that the actual number of calls made by your application to the PE API exceeds the number of calls that you requested in your application, PE reserves the right in its sole discretion to:
a) limit your call rate to the tier that you specified in your application;
b) block your feed from the PE API; or
c) automatically charge you the appropriate fee for the actual number of calls made by your application.
3.3 In respect of any websites into which you incorporate the PE API, calls to the PE API may be stored in the cache for a maximum of one hour after which time they must be deleted.
3.4 In respect of any other digital products or applications into which you incorporate the PE API, calls to the PE API may be stored for a maximum of seven days after which time they must be deleted.
4. LIABILITY DISCLAIMER
PE APIs and PE Content are provided by PE in good faith but PE does not make any representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, in relation to all or any part of any PE API or PE Content and all warranties and representations are hereby excluded to the extent permitted by law.
There is no guarantee that the PE API or PE Content will be free of infection by viruses or anything else which may be harmful or destructive.
To the extent permitted by law, PE hereby disclaims all liability (howsoever arising) in connection with any loss and/or damage, arising out of or in connection with any use of, or inability to use, all or any part of the PE Content or the PE API, or any action taken (or refrained from being taken) as a result of using any of these.
5. CHANGES TO CONTENT
You acknowledge that any PE API and all PE Content are subject to change. PE hereby reserves the right to change any PE Content at any time, in its sole discretion and without notice.
6. INCORPORATION OF PEARSON PLUG & PLAY TERMS
The Pearson Plug & Play platform terms and conditions (the “P&P Terms”) also apply to your use of any PE API or PE Content and the P&P Terms are hereby incorporated into these PE Terms. To read the P&P Terms, please click here
7. CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
PE reserves the right to add to or change these PE Terms and agrees to ensure that a note of the date and clause number of any such amendments will be included as part of the PE Terms. Any changes will be posted to this page and it is your responsibility as a user to ensure that you are aware of any such changes from time to time. Changes will become effective 24 hours after first posting and you will be deemed to have accepted any change if you continue to access the PE API after that time.
If any of these PE Terms is held by a court of law in any territory to be invalid, illegal or otherwise unenforceable, then, to the extent that it is held to be so, and with regard to the relevant territory only, that provision shall be severed and deleted from these PE Terms, provided that the remaining provisions of these PE Terms shall remain binding and enforceable and the severed provision shall also remain so in all other territories.
9. GOVERNING LAW
These Terms shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, English law, and any disputes that may arise under or in relation to these Terms shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England.
If you have any questions or feedback about the PE Terms or the PE API or PE Content, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.