Contained within the Penguin Classics API are 48 of the best novels ever written in the English Language. Full text of universally loved classics such as Jane Eyre, Dracula, and Great Expectations are at your fingertips. Enhance your application with interesting plots or create a new storytelling experience, the possibilities are endless!
Just a few of the available titles within the Penguin Classics API:
- A Tale of two Cities by Charles Dickens
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Accessing the Sandbox
Step 1: Click Register at the top right of developer.pearson.com
Step 2: Enter your contact details and activate your account using the link that is sent to you by email.
Step 3: Once signed in, you'll be able to explore the APIs using your Sandbox Key. To unlock the full content within the API, register for a Production Key.
Registering for an API Key
Step 1: When signed into your account, click My Apps in the top navigation.
Step 2: Under Your Applications, click Setup Application.
Step 3: Enter your application details and check off the APIs you’d like to gain full access to. For access to be granted, you must agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Step 4: Your request will be confirmed via email.
|FREE 0 - 5,000 Calls per month Get Started||
By applying to register to use the Penguin Books Limited API made available to you through the Pearson “Plug & Play” Platform (the “Penguin Classics API”), you are regarded as having accepted the following terms and conditions (the “Penguin Terms"), so please read and abide by them.
1. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The Penguin Classics API and all logos, designs, text, graphics, artwork, audio and video and other material provided via any Penguin Classics API (“Penguin Content”) are the property of Penguin Books Limited (“Penguin”) or its suppliers and are protected by international copyright laws.
The Penguin name and logo are registered or unregistered trade marks of Penguin Books Limtied.
2. USE OF THE PENGUIN CLASSICS API AND PENGUIN CONTENT
2.1 You acknowledge that Penguin may accept or refuse any application to use the Penguin Classics API as Penguin may determine in its sole discretion. Further, you acknowledge that Penguin may withdraw your access to any Penguin Classics API for any reason and at any time in its sole discretion.
2.2 Subject to Penguin’s acceptance of your application to use the Penguin Classics API, Penguin hereby grants to you a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, revocable licence to download, copy, reproduce, republish, post, transmit, store, or distribute the Penguin Classics API and the Penguin Content provided via the Penguin Classics API in any way subject always to the following restrictions and the terms of clause 3 below:
• Your use of the Penguin Classics API and Penguin Content is restricted to the parts thereof that were specified by you in your application to use the Penguin Classics API and that were specifically approved by Penguin when it accepted your application.
• Each product or application produced by you that features any Penguin Content or uses the Penguin Classics API shall feature the legend “Content provided by Penguin Books Limited” and you shall display the credit “Content provided by Penguin Books Limited” in the splash screen, home screen and credit section or terms and conditions (as appropriate) for that applicable product or application. The credit “Content provided by Penguin Books Limited” must not be used in conjunction with any content other than Penguin Content.
• You shall not modify Penguin Content in any way (save for reformatting, resizing or, in respect of images only, cropping).
• You shall not reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Penguin Classics API, Penguin Content or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by applicable law.
• You shall not use the Penguin Classics API or any Penguin Content in any product, service or application that you have developed for or on behalf of any competitor of Penguin including, for example only and without limitation, any other publisher.
• Any product, service or application that incorporates the Penguin Classics API or Penguin Content may only be made available to end users for their personal use.
• The Penguin Content and Penguin Classics API are provided to you only for use in the English language and you shall not translate or procure or publish any translation of any part of the same into any other language.
• You shall not use the Penguin Classics API or any Penguin Content in any product that is predominantly a digital book or reading application.
3. CALLS TO Penguin Classics API AND CHARGES
3.1 Your product may not make more than 5,000 free calls per month through the Pearson Plug & Play scheme. If you would like to make more use of the Penguin content you may upgrade by clicking on your application in My Apps and choosing the Upgrade option or by contacting Penguin at email@example.com. When you upgrade, you will be asked to estimate the number of calls that your application will make to the Penguin API per month. Any applicable charges will be paid monthly in advance.
3.2 The number of calls that you may make to the Penguin Classics API is limited to the number of calls set out in the application made by you and accepted by Penguin. Upon your reaching this threshold, your feed from the Penguin Classics API will be blocked. If you would like to make further use of the Penguin Classics API of Penguin Content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a bespoke licence package.
3.3 In respect of any websites into which you incorporate the Penguin Classics API, calls to the Penguin Classics API may be stored in the cache for a maximum of one day after which time they must be deleted.
3.4 In respect of any other digital products or applications into which you incorporate the Penguin Classics API, calls to the Penguin Classics API may be stored for a maximum of seven days after which time they must be deleted.
4. LIABILITY DISCLAIMER
Penguin Classics APIs and Penguin Content are provided by Penguin in good faith but Penguin does not make any representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, in relation to all or any part of the Penguin Classics API or Penguin Content and all warranties and representations are hereby excluded to the extent permitted by law.
There is no guarantee that the Penguin Classics API or Penguin Content will be free of infection by viruses or anything else which may be harmful or destructive.
To the extent permitted by law, Penguin hereby disclaims all liability (howsoever arising) in connection with any loss and/or damage, arising out of or in connection with any use of, or inability to use, all or any part of the Penguin Content or the Penguin Classics API, or any action taken (or refrained from being taken) as a result of using any of these.
5. CHANGES TO CONTENT
You acknowledge that the Penguin Classics API and all Penguin Content are subject to change. Penguin hereby reserves the right to change any Penguin Content at any time, in its sole discretion and without notice.
6. INCORPORATION OF PEARSON PLUG & PLAY TERMS
The Pearson Plug & Play platform terms and conditions (the “P&P Terms”) also apply to your use of the Penguin Classics API and Penguin Content and the P&P Terms are hereby incorporated into these Penguin Terms. To read the P&P Terms, please click here.
7. CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
Penguin reserves the right to add to or change these Penguin Terms and agrees to ensure that a note of the date and clause number of any such amendments will be included as part of the Penguin Terms. Any changes will be posted to this page and it is your responsibility as a user to ensure that you are aware of any such changes from time to time. Changes will become effective 24 hours after first posting and you will be deemed to have accepted any change if you continue to access the Penguin Classics API after that time.
If any of these Penguin Terms is held by a court of law in any territory to be invalid, illegal or otherwise unenforceable, then, to the extent that it is held to be so, and with regard to the relevant territory only, that provision shall be severed and deleted from these Penguin Terms, provided that the remaining provisions of these Penguin Terms shall remain binding and enforceable and the severed provision shall also remain so in all other territories.
9. GOVERNING LAW
These Terms shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, English law, and any disputes that may arise under or in relation to these Terms shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England.
If you have any questions or feedback about these Penguin Terms or the Penguin Classics API or Penguin Content, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.