With more than 12 million copies in print, Visual QuickStart Guides have been a vital part of the computer book category for years and are an established and trusted resource for creative people. It’s easy to get up and running in no time with these best-selling quick-reference guides, and master a new application or technology. Visual QuickStart Guides contain concise, step-by-step explanations of core tools and tasks with plenty of helpful screen shots to keep students and professionals on track as they work.
Key Features Include:
- Proven tutorial and reference format with over 15 years of success
- Concise, straightforward steps and explanations
- Step-by-step guides developed by teachers and experts in the field
- Includes guides for WordPress, PHP, HTML5, CSS, iPad, Photoshop and more!
- Hand-picked content based on the most in demand topics from real users and students
Accessing the Sandbox
Step 1: Click Register at the top right of developer.pearson.com
Step 2: Enter your contact details and activate your account using the link that is sent to you by email.
Step 3: Once signed in, you'll be able to explore the APIs using your Sandbox Key. To unlock the full content within the API, register for a Production Key.
Registering for an API Key
Step 1: When signed into your account, click My Apps in the top navigation.
Step 2: Under Your Applications, click Setup Application.
Step 3: Enter your application details and check off the APIs you’d like to gain full access to. For access to be granted, you must agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Step 4: Your request will be confirmed via email.
By applying to register to use any Peachpit Visual QuickStart Guide API made available to you through the Pearson “Plug & Play” Platform (a “VQS API”), you are regarded as having accepted the following terms and conditions ("the Peachpit Terms"), so please read and abide by them.
1. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
a. Unless otherwise indicated, all logos, designs, text, graphics, artwork, audio, video, data and other content or materials provided via any Peachpit API (“Peachpit Content”), and all PEachpit APIs, are the property of Peachpit and/or its licensors or content providers, and are protected by international copyright and trademark laws. Your use of any VQS API or Peachpit Content does not transfer to you any ownership or other rights in the applicable VQS API or Peachpit Content. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by Peachpit.
b. Peachpit, the Peachpit logo and other marks and logos associated with any Peachpit APIs or Peachpit Content (the “Peachpit Marks”) are trademarks, trade names and service marks owned by Pearson Education, Inc. and/or its licensor(s). Other than as expressly permitted in these FT Terms, you agree not to use any Peachpit Marks without the express prior written consent of Peachpit. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by Peachpit.
2. USE OF THE VQS API AND VQS CONTENT
2.1 You acknowledge that Peachpit may accept or refuse any application to use the VQS API as Peachpit may determine in its sole discretion. Further, you acknowledge that Peachpit withdraw your access to any VQS API for any reason and at any time in its sole discretion.
2.2 Subject to Peachpit’s acceptance of your application to use a VQS API, Peachpit hereby grants to you a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, revocable licence to download, copy, reproduce, republish, post, transmit, store, or distribute that VQS API and the Peachpit Content provided via that VQS API in any way subject always to the following restrictions and the terms of clause 3 below:
• Your use of the VQS API and Peachpit Content is restricted to the parts thereof that were specified by you in your application to use the VQS API and that were specifically approved by Peachpit when it accepted your application.
• Each product or application produced by you that features any Peachpit Content or uses the VQS API shall feature the legend “Powered by Peachpit’s Visual QuickStart Guides” (The Legend) and you shall display the credit “Powered by Peachpit’s Visual QuickStart Guides” in the splash screen, home screen and credit section or terms and conditions (as appropriate) for that applicable product or application. The credit “Powered by Peachpit’s Visual QuickStart Guides” must not be used in conjunction with any content other than Peachpit Content. In addition, together with the Legend, you shall display after each such piece of Peachpit Content an appropriate author credit (“Author Credit”), comprised of the title, author and copyright notice (including the copyright date and owner) for the work from which the applicable Peachpit Content is taken, and the Peachpit logo. In addition, if your product or application includes a credit section, or credits are included in the terms and conditions for such product or application, you shall display the Legend and applicable Author Credit there as well. In each case, the Legend must be the following: “Powered by Peachpit’s Visual QuickStart Guides” and the information for the Author Credit shall be as provided in the Pearson Data file for the applicable Peachpit Content. Neither the Legend nor the Peachpit logo may be used in conjunction with any content other than Peachpit Content. Peachpit shall have the right to approve the typography and use of the Legend and applicable Author Credit (including, without limitation, the Peachpit logo) as it is displayed in your product or application before such product or application is finalized, which approval will not be unreasonably withheld or delayed. Once approved, you shall not alter the Legend or Author Credit as they are displayed in your product or application in any way without the prior written approval of Peachpit.
• You shall not modify Peachpit Content in any way (save for cropping, resizing and formatting);
• You shall not reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of any VQS API, Peachpit Content or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by applicable law.
• You shall not use any Peachpit Content or VQS API in any product, service or application that you have developed for or on behalf of any competitor of Peachpit including, for example only and without limitation, any other publisher of computing guides or technical reference products;
• Any product, service or application that incorporates the VQS API or Peachpit Content must only be made available to end users for their personal use only.
• The Peachpit Content and VQS APIs are provided to you only for use in the English language and you shall not translate or procure or publish any translation of any part of the same into any other language.
3. CALLS TO VQS API AND CHARGES
3.1 Your product may not make more than 5,000 free calls per month through the Pearson Plug & Play scheme. If you would like to make more use of the Peachpit Content you may upgrade by clicking on your application in My Apps and choosing the Upgrade option or by contacting Peachpit at email@example.com. When you upgrade, you will be asked to estimate the number of calls that your application will make to the Visual QuickStart Guides API per month. Any applicable charges shall be paid monthly in advance.
3.2 In the event that the actual number of calls made by your application to the VQS API exceeds the number of calls that you requested in your application, Peachpit reserves the right in its sole discretion to:
a) limit your call rate to the band that you specified in your application;
b) block your feed from the VQS API; or
c) automatically charge you the appropriate fee as set out above.
3.3 In respect of any websites into which you incorporate the VQS API, calls to the VQS API may be stored in the cache for a maximum of one hour after which time they must be deleted.
3.4 In respect of any other digital products or applications into which you incorporate the VQS API, calls to the VQS API may be stored for a maximum of seven days after which time they must be deleted.
4. LIABILITY DISCLAIMER
a. VQS APIs and Peachpit Content are provided by Peachpit in good faith. NONETHELESS, PEARSON MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE VQS APIs OR ANY PEACHPIT CONTENT, WHICH ARE PROVIDED FOR USE “AS IS.” PEACHPIT DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY THAT THE VQS APIs OR PEACHPIT CONTENT WILL BE FREE OF INFECTION BY VIRUSES OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MAY BE HARMFUL OR DESTRUCTIVE, AND THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO THE VQS APIs AND PEACHPIT CONTENT. PEACHPIT ALSO MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO WHETHER THE INFORMATION INCLUDED IN ANY PEACHPIT CONTENT IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE, OR CURRENT. It is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy and completeness of all information, opinions and other material included in any Peachpit Content.
b. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAWS, PEACHPIT HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY OF WHATEVER NATURE AND HOWSOEVER ARISING – INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY COMPENSATORY, INCIDENTAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS CAUSED BY COMPUTER VIRUS, LOSS OF INCOME OR PROFIT, LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES, OR OTHER LOSSES OF ANY KIND OR CHARACTER – ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, ALL OR ANY PART OF THE PEACHPIT CONTENT OR ANY VQS APIs. YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ESTABLISHING SUCH PROCEDURES FOR DATA BACK-UP AND VIRUS-CHECKING AS YOU CONSIDER NECESSARY.
5. CHANGES TO CONTENT
You acknowledge that any VQS API and all Peachpit Content are subject to change. Peachpit hereby reserves the right to change any Peachpit Content at any time, in its sole discretion and without notice.
6. INCORPORATION OF PEARSON PLUG & PLAY TERMS
The Pearson Plug & Play platform terms and conditions (the “P&P Terms”) also apply to your use of any VQS API or Peachpit Content and the P&P Terms are hereby incorporated into these Peachpit Terms. To read the P&P Terms, please click here.
7. CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
Peachpit reserves the right to add to or change these Peachpit Terms and agrees to ensure that a note of the date and clause number of any such amendments will be included as part of the Peachpit Terms. Any changes will be posted to this page and it is your responsibility as a user to ensure that you are aware of any such changes from time to time. Changes will become effective 24 hours after first posting and you will be deemed to have accepted any change if you continue to access the VQS API after that time.
If any of these Peachpit Terms is held by a court of law in any territory to be invalid, illegal or otherwise unenforceable, then, to the extent that it is held to be so, and with regard to the relevant territory only, that provision shall be severed and deleted from these Peachpit Terms, provided that the remaining provisions of these Peachpit Terms shall remain binding and enforceable and the severed provision shall also remain so in all other territories.
9. GOVERNING LAW
These Terms shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, English law, and any disputes that may arise under or in relation to these Terms shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England.
If you have any questions or feedback about these Peachpit Terms or the VQS APIs or Peachpit Content, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VQS API Peachpit Terms